Options: Use Forum View

Use Monospaced Font
Show Text Part by Default
Show All Mail Headers

Topic: [<< First] [< Prev] [Next >] [Last >>]
Author: [<< First] [< Prev] [Next >] [Last >>]

Print Reply
Subject:
"Jeneille Barkl This year I pray for change, awareness, and health in our world. Wishing you all a great year." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Mar 2004 18:29:44 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (23 lines)
Hello, my name is Jeneille Barkl, and I am a University of North Dakota nursing student.  Currently, I am following the discussion on mercury and PBDE contamination and whether these chemicals are transferred through breast milk.  I have taken time to research studies done on these specific chemicals; and I am overwhelmed by the amount of research and the results of the findings.  Through my investigation I have become increasingly concerned with the consumption of seafood during breastfeeding which has been directly linked to high levels of mercury in breast milk.
According to Drexler and Schaller (1998) the additional exposure to mercury in breastfeed babies from maternal amalgam fillings is of minor importance compared to maternal fish consumption.  Data was obtained by sampling breast milk at delivery and two months later.  The breast milk at delivery showed a significant correlation with the amount of fillings the mother has, but did not show levels that correlated with fillings at two months.  Instead these levels correlated with the amount of fish consumed by the mother.  Another study also confirmed these findings, and noted that the consumption of predatory fish increases the amount of mercury in breast milk.
Therefore it is essential to decrease intake of MeHg-containing fish well in advance of pregnancy according to Vahter et al. (2000).  Grandjean et al. (1995) findings suggest dietary restrictions may be appropriate for pregnant and lactating women; although, I have been unable to locate exact guidelines to fish consumption before, during, and after pregnancy.  Are there current guidelines available, particularly during lactation?  Also, in your practice do you educate mothers about their consumption of seafood and the risk of mercury exposure for their infants while breastfeeding?

Drexler, H., & Schaller, K. (1998).  The mercury concentration in breast milk resulting from amalgam fillings and dietary habits.  Environmental Research,  77(A), 124-129.
Grandjean, P., Weihe, P., Needhan, L., Burse, V., Patterson, D., Sampson, E., et al. (1995).  Relation of a seafood diet to mercury, selenium, arsenic, and polychlorinated biphenyl and other organochlorine concentrations in human milk.  Enviormental Research,  71, 29-38.
Vahter, M., Akesson, A., Lind, B., Bjors, U., Schutz, A., Berglund, M. (2000).  Longitudinal study of methylmercury and inorganic mercury in blood and urine of pregnant and lactating women, as well as in umbilical cord blood.  Environmental Research,  84(A), 186-194.

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2