From:
Nikki Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Sep 2007 20:36:18 EDT
Dear Friends:

I am reading with interest these posts about Similac and NEC; this is
different to what I have known before, which is that formula use in general is linked
with NEC. I wasn't aware of any specific formulae that are more likely to
induce NEC.

Is this something others in NICUs and intensive care nurseries around the
world have noticed?

At the LLL conference in Chicago this past July, Paula Meier pointed out the
connection between formula use, and systemic immune response syndrome. Formula
changes the colonization of the gut, and the mucosa become inflammed as a
result which leads to a host of nasty conditions, NEC being one of them. Doing a
google search for 'systemic immune response syndrome in premature infants"
yielded over 10,000 sites.

warmly,

Nikki Lee RN, MS, Mother of 2, IBCLC, CCE, CIMI
_http://www.breastfeedingalwaysbest.com/_
(http://www.breastfeedingalwaysbest.com/)
www.myspace/AdonicaLee