From:
Diana Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Sep 2003 17:10:09 -0400

>I am lost here, finding it hard to believe that this could be true about breastmilk, yet wondering how else could this have happened... Any input appreciated... thanks, Ann Conlon-Smith, LLLL, IBCLC
>
>Please search the archives.  We have discussed this many times before.  It is not surprising that an ex-29 week infant develops either chemical (labs abnormal only) or clinical rickets if he/she received exclusive EBM.   Although somewhat different for the first 2 weeks, milk of mothers who deliver prematuely changes rather quickly to "mature" milk which has insufficient protein, calcium and phosphorus to meet the needs of a 29 week infant. There is nothing "wrong" with her milk - it is just meant for full-term infants.
>
>The mother does NOT have to stop breastfeeding, however.  She just needs to add 2 -3 feedings/day of a fortified formula (EnfaCare or NeoSure) to get enough protein, calcium and phosphorus.  Any neonatal nutritionist can calculate the amount of additional nutrients this infant needs, and figure out how much supplement the infant will require to meet those needs. . .Nancy

I agree with Nancy, please lets don't "blame the victim" or mother's
milk.  She did EXACTLY what she needed to do.  I wish she didn't have to
pay those outrageous prices for the *supplement*.  1. Sunshine also
helps wonderfully for building up bone strength.  2. Even adding the
supplement to a couple of EBM feeds per day is adequate to raise his
calcium intake.  Rickets is not permanent.  3. After a while, have the
baby bouncing on his feet in her lap=weight bearing exercise.  These
three components will relieve the rickets more quickly.

Hind site is 20/20.  Was there a nutritionist in the NICU?  rather than
"the nutritionist should have. . ."
Take care,
Diana M. Miller, MPH, RD