From:
Magda Sachs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Jan 2003 21:02:09 -0000
Lisa, you said  <they never again reevaluate the EBM for
nutritional/caloric changes or for variences between each and every nursing
mother. When I remind them that EBM is not a stagnant product and human
milk values change as the infants change, all the researchers have either
replied, "well, I'll have to check with our dietician" or they have ignored
my query.<

I was at a talk given by Sandra Lang a while ago (some of you may know her
book on feeding prem babies -- I am not sure how well known Sandra is
outside the UK, in the rest of the 'developed' world, but she is considered
quite an authority here) and she was speaking about some unpublished studies
she had done on the sodium content of milk of mothers expressing for prem
babies -- the content varied quite markedly if the milk had been expressed
by hand or by electric, hospital grade pump [and sodium is only one element
was her point -- that milk expressed by hand might be quite quite different
in content from milk expressed by machine].  She had asked a very well known
eminent researcher here in the UK, who has done well respected research
about premature babies and human milk, how the milk in his study had been
expressed, and *HE DIDN'T KNOW*. In fact, it wasn't clear if this had been
documented at the time of the study.

Interesting, hey, what?

This research is part of the rock solid stuff we all quote to demonstrate
what great stuff breastfeeding/milk is.

Magda Sachs
Breastfeeding Supporter, BfN, erstwhile north american now stranded in the
UK.
---