From:
Bruce Henry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Jun 1998 18:11:43 -0400
Hello,

It has been a while since I posted, getting caught up with life and
rediscovering how busy life with a toddler is.  Since I spend so much time
on e-mail I also answer LLL e-mail questions (sent to LLLI Web Page - Help
Line) and I received a question that has me and my PL stumped.  I have
looked in the Breastfeeding Answer Book and have only found references to
moms who discover cancer during lactation, not during pregnancy.  I have
received the mother's permission to post her question to Lactnet and after
the responses she gets here will probably also request information from the
Center for Breastfeeding Information.  Below is her question and I hope
that the 1000+ lactnuts here have some answers for her.  What ever

>>> I am 32 years old and was diagnosed with Hodgkins Disease during my 4th
month of pregnancy.  At the start of my 3rd trimester I began
chemotherapy and will have completed 3 cycles (6 bi-weekly i.v's) on July
9th.  I have several docs working with me on my situation ( a radiation
oncologist, a medical oncologist, my obgyn for the past 10 yrs, and a
special high risk pregnancy obgyn), however, none of them have given me a
straight answer regarding breast feeding my newborn.  The medical
oncologist has given me a definite "no" .  I believe this response was
due to the fact that he didn't want to have to deal with the risk.  My
other doctors have all hesitated and suggested I just follow the
oncologist's advice. The drug protocol that I am taking is called "ABVD"
which stands for, Adriamycin, Bleomycin, Vinblastine, & Dacarbazine.  My
doc tells me that it takes approx. 2-3 days for the chemo drugs to leave
my body.
On July 31st my obgyn has scheduled me for a cesarian section (three
weeks after my final chemo session) and I hope to begin nursing
immediately.  I have a 3yr old son and breast fed him very successfully
for his first year of life and would love to be able to do the same for
this baby.
One question I have is:  When does the colostrum come in?  Is it present
in my breast now? and if so, is it already contaminated?   I'm willing to
pump my breasts to dump any contaminated colostrum or milk until it's ok
to feed my baby.
There is the possibility that I will have to begin radiation therapy
approx. a month and a half after the baby is born.  Is it unsafe to
breast feed while undergoing radiation therapy?  If so can I "pump and
dump" during this time?<<<<

Thank all of you for your help.

Felicia Henry
Bradley Instructor