From:
Therese Maltby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Apr 2003 19:07:16 EDT
Hi, everybody!

Wow...I just got back from the LLL Regional Conference here in Denver. I
almost didn't get to go, but at the last minute was given a scholarship for
all but $50 of the cost! I am SO grateful!

Ya know, it is SO cool to be able to be a breastfeeding "groupie" to master
teachers. I was left in awe of both Linda Smith and Paula Meier.

I have been struggling to write a breastfeeding policy for our Level II
nursery. (Thank you, all who wrote giving and faxing policies, articles and
advice!) We've never had one, and are as a result doing archaic things like
"making sure baby can bottle feed before they try to breastfeed", and so on.
I finally completed the final draft two weeks ago.

At the encouragement of one of the conference directors (Jill Andrews, who
made it possible for me to attend) I timidly approached Dr. Meier and asked
if she could peek at my policy draft. She said she'd try.

You guys, she REVISED it for me! I explained to my husband (a computer geek)
that for him, this would be like having Bill Gates look over a computer
project and tweak it for him! I have to rewrite a lot of the policy as a
result, but WHO CARES! My preemie breastfeeding policy will be able to use
the latest research! I'm so psyched!

And then, I was chatting with "Coach" Smith as I was doing some work for the
conference (paying part of my way, so to speak) and she recommended a couple
of online CERP and graduate programs I might look into.

I am so grateful to have met both of them. Just thought I'd gush...er, share.

Tammy in Colorado