From:
Chris Hafner-Eaton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Jul 1997 08:44:42 -0700
Melissa:  Sorry to hear about your experience with the doc not believing
anyone who doesn't have an MD.  It's really too bad that SOME MDs are
virtually cultivated into believing that they are the ultimate omniscient
gods of information.  I'd suggest that this mom RUN to a different MD.
Barring that, ask this MD how many hours of nutrition he actually had in
medical school and then how many on nutrition (I almost wrote
nurturing...but that's a good one too)?  IMHO, biased as it is, PhDs in
nutrition, pharmacology, public health, and lactation have FAR more
expertise in this area.  When I see a nutrition book authored by an MD, I
discount it until proven otherwise (unless they have other training/ed such
as an RD, MPH, IBCLC, etc). Every time I hear/read a post like yours it
makes me want to call up the med schools that granted me deferred admission
years ago (before my PhD) and say "sign me up."  Not because I want to
practice medicine, but so that I have the "my degrees match your degrees"
ability. (sigh)

: )Chris Hafner-Eaton, PhD, MPH, CHES, IBCLC  email: [log in to unmask]   : )
: )HSR & Health Educational Consultant        voice/fax: 541 753 7340    : )
: )LLLLLLLLLLLLL**CHANGE THE WORLD, NURTURE A CHILD!**LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL : )