From:
Kate Hallberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Dec 1998 19:25:19 -0800
Can she research "old" foods and try adding those?  Millet, buckwheat,
rye, quinoa, carob, seasonings that are no longer used often....  She
could get creative in other cuisines- adding dulse, tempeh, wasabi...
I have a book of recipes from Biblical times that made me think of
this- foods that have been used for millenia by the old world
cultures.  She should keep in mind that before the discovery of the
Americas we didn't have a lot of wonderful foods that we have now:
zucchini, turkey, chocolate, peppers, tomatoes...  Before europeans
"found" Asia they didn't have pasta, spices...  Native Americans
didn't have wheat, rice,... People traditionally have had a very
limited diet, but they also utilised foods that we don't find very
appealing now.

I guess I'm appealing to changing her mindset as well as looking
outside of "normal" cuisine for food ideas.  Who knows, maybe she
really will like an obsure grain that we think little about these days.

Wish her well for me.  Maybe if exploring new foods is too wierd for
her, your LLL group could organise some cooking parties to make food
for her, and for the other attendees to bring home as well.  They can
cook in bulk and freeze if it's something they are into.

==

Kate Hallberg, mom to Ursula (wow! 4) and Sage (1.5)
http://www.cs.colorado.edu/~kolina
* If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Ridge/8193/