From:
"Linda J. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Jan 2002 12:44:47 -0500
This is from Brian Palmer, DDS, posted with his permission:
I have just put up a couple of new presentations on my website that I
thought you might be interested in.  One presentation covers an anatomic
reason for SIDS and obligate nose breathing, the other covers an anatomic
reason for otitis media.  Since SIDS is the third largest killer of infants
in the USA and otitis media costs billions of dollars to treat every year, I
thought both topics needed to be researched.
My presentation on SIDS is based on Dr. Crelin's research of 37 years at
Yale and dissections of four fetus cadavers and two adult cadavers.
I doubt if most pediatricians know about the difference in the relationship
between the soft palate and epiglottis at birth and in adults?  I believe
knowing about this relationship is critical for the proper care of infants.
The relationship is also critical for breastfeeding.  I found Dr. Crelin's
research fascinating.  His credentials and publications are listed at the
end of the commentary.
Both are posted on my site at www.brianpalmerdds.com
I have also placed an article on the health care crisis in the USA as I see
it.  Without more emphasis on prevention and educating people on the
importance of better health care habits, and especially the importance of
breastfeeding, I believe our health care system will collapse within the
next 10 years.  All of this needs to start in the offices of pediatricians
and in the school system.
My next presentation will be the most important of all my presentations.  It
will be the glue that shows the interrelationship between all my
presentations and articles.
Hope the presentations are informative for all.
Have a pleasant day!
Brian Palmer, DDS

Linda J. Smith, BSE, FACCE, IBCLC
Bright Future Lactation Resource Centre www.bflrc.com
6540 Cedarview Ct., Dayton, OH 45459-1214 USA
(937) 438-9458 email [log in to unmask]