Date:
Thu, 1 Jul 1999 08:38:42 -0400
I've been following the discussion concerning the presence of dioxins and
other chemicals in breastmilk compared to infant formula.  Although I am a
strong proponent of breastfeeding and believe it is almost always
preferable to formula-feeding, I think it is also clear that mother's milk
will contain more lipid-soluble chemicals than formula.  This occurs
because women eat a diet substantially more diverse than cows who are
vegetarians consuming mainly feed and grass.   The traces of chemicals in
the foods we consume result in some transfer of these lipid-soluble
chemicals to breastmilk.  However, the benefits of breastfeeding far
outweigh the risks of trace levels of chemicals in the milk.   I disagree
with some of the discussion I've seen which suggests that formula is more
contaminated.  I do not believe that to be the case in most instances
unless the water used to make the formula is contaminated.   People are
scared about chemicals in milk (and they have reason to be), but I think it
is our role to educate both moms and health care providers that the
benefits of breastfeeding far exceed its risks.

Judith S. Schreiber, Ph.D., New York State Department of Heath.  New phone
number 518-402-7810, now in Troy NY after the Center for Environmental
Health moved from Albany, NY.