From:
Jeanette Panchula <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Sep 2005 06:52:05 -0700
 If there was ever a mom I would have been SURE would bottlefeed was my
daughter in law - a masters in math with a need to have things VERY clearly
"organized" and scheduled - lists for everything, scheduled life...

Yet her husband (my firstborn) and she have set totally DIFFERENT ways to
deal with their babies - and she breastfed each of the 2 (another on the
way) in a relaxed, unscheduled way until they weaned on their own.

It has shown me that we really can't tell who will be the mom who chooses to
NOT follow her own style - for the sake of her baby.

Again we need to be sure moms know what babies need - that seems to be the
missing link in most of the moms I see - they know (or think they know) what
THEY need or want - but no one (certainly not their woman's magazines or
often their girlfriends) explain their infants' needs.

As a La Leche League Leader 'way back (70's) when I was told "you don't
convince a mom to breastfeed - you support the mother that WANTS to
breastfeed" I often felt I was the only person advocating for the BABY's
needs...and still, today it seems to not be any better.

As Lactation Consultants a lot of our work is COUNSELING and EDUCATING as
well as being technically and scientifically knowledgeable.  One of the
reasons I love Judi Lauwers' Counseling the Nursing Mother so much (and no,
I don't get any financial or other benefit from mentioning it!)

Jeanette Panchula, BSW, RN, PHN, IBCLC
California - where it's FINALLY cooling off!