From:
Susan Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 May 2006 13:04:53 -0700
Hear, hear.

And playing with some slightly different numbers:
I've led a monthly "Extended" Nursing mothers'
discussion group since Jan 1993 and have seen many
mothers nurse individual children 3, 6, 9+ years,
sometimes in tandem with a sibling.  Anecdotally, many
of these mothers are "older," children are often
spaced further apart, a first or last child is often
welcomed in a mother's 40s.  The issue of early
menopause would certainly have raised its curious head
by now if there were some sort of pattern.

I suspect, as Margaret suggests in another post, that
something different is up with this mom & the
breastfeeding is indeed a red herring.

Too bad nursing is so unusual that it often draws
attention first (though the question of hormone levels
is of interest in this case).

Susan Johnson MFA, IBCLC
Salt Lake City, Utah USA

<<I'm with Jen on this one - anecdotal evidence would
lead you to the opposite conclusion than this doctor's
(that prolonged nursing could lead to premature
menopause).  I know many, many women who have had 6-16
babies and have nursed for years (and decades) with
very few cycles.  Many of them are now in their
forties and still having babies - myself included.  I
think if prolonged nursing *caused* premature
menopause it would certainly be evident in this
population.

Melanie Young
IBCLC, LLLL >>