From:
Karen Foard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Oct 1996 08:23:20 -0400
As a non-nurse LC, I always appreciate the posts of those of you who have
more training in the medical field.  Thanks, Pat, for your quick list of
medical abbreviations (9/30/96).   The list reminded me of when I  first sat
down with my copy of  R & A's Breastfeeding and Human Lactation, and was
perusing through the appendices. When I got to the medical abbreviations in
the back, I scanned them until I got to FLK----(funny looking kid). I
thought for sure Jan and Kathy were pulling our legs to see who read the
back pages!  One consult though, I had a  mom who was a nurse practicing
some lie down positioning, and as we were talking, I asked her about that
abbreviation. She told me yes, it was for real--and in fact when they have a
FLK--they also make sure they look at the parents to see if they have a FLP!!!

There are indeed some FLKs--and if there was a video camera watching me
doing a phone consult reviewing positioning, especially hand techniques, I
would wager a guess that there are many FL-LCs too!!

Have a good day!

Karen Foard, IBCLC          State College, PA