From:
Laurie Wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Feb 2015 09:45:00 -0600
We have family-centered care as well, which administration seems very
reluctant to curtailing any visitors and support people for any reason. So
visitors are pretty much unrestricted during labor and recovery. However,
during the actual near birth and birth of the baby, visitors are restricted
to 2 support people.

My understanding is that there will soon be implementation of the "golden
hour." There will have to be some education of the parents (who often want
to show off the baby to all the family) and visitors (who want to come in
immediately to see mom/baby). I believe if the focus is on physiology, more
people will accept the change. Educate on transition of the infant to
extrauterine life (cardiopulmonary changes, temperature stability,
infection protection, establishment of breastfeeding) and recovery of the
mother (hemodynamics etc). The nurses (who are predominantly mothers
themselves and understand the desire to connect and celebrate with family)
really look forward to this change. I don't know of any nurse who would not
love to see that hour (or more) of quiet for mother, father/significant
other, baby and staff to complete that important transition and recovery
period.

Laurie Wheeler RN MN IBCLC
Mississippi USA