Date:
Sat, 1 Apr 2000 18:21:17 -0500
I received this letter from a mother, and I don't know what to suggest. Any
ideas? Respond directly to her as well as the list please. Her email address
is [log in to unmask]

"I have stopped breastfeeding my son since Christmas but still have sore
breasts and I feel that they are congested part of the time. It is mostly
centered towards the outside edges of the breasts and in the underarm area.
It is also occurring in both breasts. I sometimes feel like I have marbles
in this area. I'm wondering if this is just a normal occurence or not. I
have breastfed before but this was my first time that I breastfed for nine
months. Any help or advice you can provide will be most useful."

I told her I didn't think this was usual by any means, but that I had not
heard of this before, but asked permission to post which she gave me.

Jack Newman, MD, FRCPC