From:
Carla D'Anna <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Feb 2000 01:22:40 -0500
Heather
If a baby had acute gastroenteritis the production of lactase may be
decreased so the baby may suffer from an induced and temporary lactose
intolerance which could cause malabsorption of most nutrients, including
fat.  This, along with the substitution of pedialyte for breastmilk may have
decreased caloric intake.  Milk supply may also be decreased if pedialyte
caused less frequent nursing.   Oral rehydration therapy may be needed for a
short period of time but one shouldn't be expected to gain weight on it.
I don't know how significant the presence of fat is in the amounts
mentioned.   I'm inclined to think this baby is getting better (color and
frequency of stools are improving), despite the single time, small weight
loss (not that significant for a baby recovering from illness).  I would be
hesitant to add a change in diet away from the best to an expensive and
inferior substitute and would prefer to watch closely on exclusive
breastfeeding instead, preaching to the choir here.  Some induced lactose
intolerances do need be taken off breastmilk for a time but I think not yet
in this case.  Baby is improving.  Check the weight a few more times.  The
pediatrician seemed reasonable about this, didn't have to start right away.
I hope the weight loss stops soon and the stools continue to improve.  I
like your plan for the most part.  Is the family history of allergies likely
to cause problems on breastmilk now if it hasn't before?   I think it is not
likely and maybe asking mom to give up soy and milk now will just be another
stressor.  I don't know.   Also is the milk supply good or has the illness
and the pedialyte decreased it?  Does that need to be dealt with?
In answer to your questions; specialized formulas are often used for lactose
and/or protein intolerances.  Fat in the stool besides meaning malabsorption
can also be a sign of cystic fibrosis but come to think of it, that is
malabsorption of a sort too.  I couldn't think of anything else so I did a
quick medline search and just read a few abstracts.  I also found references
to it in HIV and Broncho Pulmonary Dysplasia on medline (searching on fat,
stool and infant).  I'm sure the pediatrician would know about these and I
don't think they would come on suddenly - I just included them here because
they interested me and might interest others.
Carla