From:
Diane Wiessinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Jul 1997 22:25:34 +0100
A client has an olive-sized lump at 11:00 in her left breast, about 4 cm
from the nipple (1 cm from the edge of her areola.)  It's movable, not
really smooth, and has been there 4 or 5 months.

A needle aspiration showed "normal breast tissue", but she's not convinced
the needle hit the right spot, and would feel better having the lump
removed, unless there's likely to be significant risk to her current and
future milk supply.

The doctor is relatively unconcerned, but "would prefer to see it go away
by the end of the summer", since "benign lumps tend to go away."  My client
wonders if the fact that she's not yet menstruating (baby is a bit over a
year) means that any fibrocystic lumps are more likely to be stable rather
than changeable.

Are there any precautions that the surgeon isn't likely to be aware of?  Is
a radial incision better than a whatever-the-perpendicular-of-radial-is
incision?  (The lump is horizontal.)

Since Ruth Lawrence is about 2 hrs from here, my client is considering a
consultation there, or having her dr talk w/ her.

Any thoughts?

Diane Wiessinger, MS, IBCLC, LLLL  Ithaca, NY