From:
Maurenne griese <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Apr 1999 09:59:17 -0600
While I agree that we should stick to facts, I thought this was a
*discussion list*, where we could certainly discuss anecdotal as well as
research based findings.  The dilemmas that face today's mothers in Western
vs. non-Western societies as they relate to breastfeeding have been
discussed on Lactnet before.  I think this topic falls into the realm of
discussing the social and cultural aspects of breastfeeding (Kathy
Dettwyler, are you out there?).  Why shouldn't we discuss the working vs.
staying home dilemmas that breastfeeding women face?  These women look to
people like us for support and encouragement in their decisions.  Those
personal decisions are their own.  Our personal decisions are our own.  It
is not an easy topic to think about or discuss-it's not cut and dry.

For change to truly be successful, I believe that we need to take baby
steps in helping the breastfeeding mother who chooses to work outside the
home.  Lactation support programs and legislation that supports these
mothers are baby steps toward positive change.  Yet, there is the other
problem which is separating mothers and babies for the sake of work outside
of the home.

For example, when I work labor and delivery, I would not expect to take my
baby along with me.  Our culture does not allow this and considering the
work involved, I think my children would be better cared for by Dad while
I'm out helping moms birth their babies.  Yet I know of at least one
midwife on our list that has taken children with her to home births because
it is accepted in her society.  With some office jobs, I don't see the
problem of having your baby with you, except for a general lack of
appreciation for the importance of mothering and breastfeeding by some
employers.

Who is going to speak up for these moms and babies and the dilemmas they
face if we don't?  Why shouldn't it be discussed here on Lactnet?

Maurenne Griese, RNC, BSN, CCE, CBE