From:
Virginia G Thorley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Nov 2001 08:39:45 +1000
I loved Gail Hertz's ideas for replacement nappy bags or discharge packs, and endorse them.  Gail's list of suggestions makes a good start, espec as they include convenience items (maid service discounts, pizza delivery) and personal pampering services (hair styling).  Gail is right:  there are lots of businesses out there that would be interested in promotion, involving discount vouchers leading to a wider client base.  There are so many more services many of us could think of in our own localities, e.g. pedicures, facials, massages, baby-massage classes.  For instance, who in your community does takeaways with lower fat and sodium content than pizzas?
    The mindset that hospitals and new mothers "need" gifts from manufacturers of artificial baby milks, bottles and teats is a *fiction*.  The best way to demonstrate that is it indeed a fiction, is to provide a viable alternative.  The only problem I can see is finding the time.  This may be where a collaborative effort between community groups and the hospital can help share the load, as well as widen the contacts to be approached as potential providers of discounts.
    Cheers,
          Virginia