From:
Anne Keller-Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 May 1998 02:50:57 +0100
>Hi all,
>
>When I worked in New York's Beth Israel Hospital, many Orthodox families told
>me that they preferred soy formula over cow based formula (when breastfeeding
>was not possible/not "allowed") because they believed soy to be more kosher
>than cow-based.  I  took that to mean with regard to how the cow(s) were
>raised/slaughtered.

Extremely Orthodox Jews will only drink cow's milk from Orthodox Jewish
sources. Soy is a vegetable substance so is not subject to these
limitations.

One might make a case against soy on the basis that it is a risk
to the baby's health. In Judaism it is a religious requirement to
transgress a commandment that endangers life or health. IMHO
all formula should be declared non-kosher for this reason.

Anne - mom to Sam
24 weeks-19#4 & 27" long!
mailto:[log in to unmask]