From:
Lisa Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Jul 1998 09:53:06 EDT
I had an enjoyable time yesterday in Boca Raton.  Physical Assessment of the
Infant session was informative, even though I don't actually do that kind of
thing as an LLL Leader.  It did give me a good look at what "normal" is when I
see newborns in meetings, and what "findings" indicate the necessity for a
referral right away to a health professional.
  The Hazards of Infant Formula by Marsha Walker, MD - well, we talked a lot
about soy formula and its dangers.  Makes me wonder how anyone thought that
taking a green leaf and making baby milk out of it was a fine idea ...
  Marianne Neifer, MD gave a funny and fast paced talk about the recent AAP
statement.  She also covered the pitfalls of media coverage - the misquotes,
the errors, and the retractions.
  So I waited in the dessert line after the last talk of the night, just to
find out there were no more berries for the shortcake!  The hotel *is*
beautiful, though, and right on the water.
  I'm sure that you'll hear more in depth coverage of the Conference from
those who were there more than a day.  Lactnetter's meeting was fun- putting
faces to names.

Lisa Jones, LLLL in HOT Wellington FL