From:
Wendy Blumfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Dec 2007 20:13:40 +0200
I am convinced that somewhere along the path of our evolution babies were
commonly born earlier and that premature babies were meant to survive. The
history of  Kangaroo care in remote areas far from health centres shows that
one does not necessarily need a sophisticated state of the art preemie unit
to save these babies.  Just look at the Dionne quins - nobody expected them
to survive the night and nobody was more surprised than the doc when he
showed up next morning to find them all alive - what he did next of course
was unthinkable but that is not the topic of this posting.

Pregnant women start producing milk at around 24 weeks of pregnancy and yet
until not so long ago, most preemie units did not expect babies of under 30
weeks gestation to survive.  Only now where births are recorded do we see
babies born at 24-25 weeks and against all odds surviving.

Since my clients at prenatal courses start at about 26-28 weeks we always
discuss prevention and care of premature birth.  There are always questions
about feeding of preemies and the couples are very encouraged to understand
that if a baby is born so early, the milk his mother is producing is
specially formulated for that baby; if a baby is born at 32 weeks, then the
milk is suited to a bigger preemie and from 36 weeks, the milk is suitable
for a full-term baby .  This explains the miracle of the milk changing and
adjusting in quantity and quality for the first six months of the baby`s
life so that nothing else needs to be given to that baby - and of course the
benefits of continued breastfeeding even when solid foods are started.

But starting with the fact that milk is produced by the mother at 24 weeks,
it is obvious that preemies were meant to survive.
Wendy Blumfield