From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Jan 2002 00:36:35 +0100
Trish Whitehouse asks whether an exclusively BF 18 month old is getting
enough food.
It's impossible to say without seeing the child.  Some blood tests, to check
iron stores, might be in order, if a gross examination leaves any doubts.

But the bottom line is, how is the child?  Is he growing?  Developing at a
rate within the range of normalcy?  Healthy by other measures?  Happy?
Not many mothers practice this.  I've only known one myself.  Her son is
going to be 9 now, and he was three years old before anything but breastmilk
had more than a token role in his diet.  He is entirely normal and healthy
and eats everything, and in fact always has been.  His growth was never a
point of contention but she had her share of arguments with the HCPs about
his iron status.  I don't remember whether they ever investigated the
matter.  What's the difference, when the child is thriving?

If the child is not growing, not happy, not developing, not healthy, and is
exclusively breastfeeding, I would want to know more.  Is the child
reluctant to try anything, or hyperallergic, or is mother controlling
things, in which case there may be reason to have a chat with her about the
usual tasks of toddlerhood (exploring and trying new stuff, for one).

Just my thoughts, without knowing any of the particulars of this case.
Rachel Myr
Norway