From:
Kay Hagan-Haller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Apr 1996 08:16:38 -0400
Pat,

I delivered two of my five babies in the posterior position.  When the
midwife caught the second one, she said "this is only the second posterior
baby that I have delivered that did not turn before birth!"  I laughed and
said that this was MY second one, too.  The first one (my second baby) was
born in 1982 when the hospital still took them away and would not let you
get them back until they were good and ready.  When I finally got him back,
he would not nurse for about 48 hours.  He was very sleepy and I could not
get him top latch on.  The nurses were so busy with an enormous amout of new
babies born that night that they kept telling me not to worry.  I called LLL
and cried.  The Leader told me that I had done everything that I was
supposed to and to keep trying and relax--he would nurse when he was ready.
Well, after two days a nurse watched me try to latch him on, pushed the back
of his head into the breast and he latched on.  he did not let go for 2 and
a half years!!!  The second one (my 4th baby) was not taken away from me at
any time during hospitalization ( left at 10 hours postpartum) and though I
had to work to get her latch on but I did not have the problems.  I think it
was because I started immediately after birth.  I do not know if this helps
but that was my experience.  My other three births were "normal" and they
all nursed like pros from the beginning.

Kay Hagan-Haller
LLL Leader