Date:
Wed, 13 Feb 2008 19:48:22 EST
While I haven't worked with mothers and infants with a tight labial
frenulum, I do have one myself, and I can tell you that it should have been  clipped.

My mother nursed me until I was about 9mos, when I was weaned to cows  milk.
Apparently, I was eating a lot of solids, too.  She told me  that it always
hurt to nurse me.  Her nipples always looked "pinched" (her  words) the entire
time she nursed me.  She has told me that she had no such  problems with my
little brother, born six years later.  She described it as  toe-curling pain
about 90% of the time, the rest of the time, it was just  pain.  I'm just glad
she nursed me for as long as she did.

To this day, it hurts to eat certain foods, I can't whistle, drinking from  a
straw is difficult, and I have a significant gap in my front teeth from  it.
I have been told that braces will not correct my gap, because as soon  as the
braces come off, the teeth will be forced back to their old position by  the
tight frenulum.  My dentist offered to clip it for me, but warned me  that it
would cause significant pain and bleeding, a long healing time, and  would
change the way I smile if I did it now.  At this time, the flap of  skin is quite
thick.  He has told me that had they known to clip these  30yrs ago, I should
have had it done, but the medical/dental community just  didn't know enough
back then.  Even now, few dentists know about this, and  recognize the impact
of it, which is why I'm sure this mother has had the issues  she's had with it.

In my personal experience, I wish it had been clipped way back when.   I'm
still undecided about doing it now.

Sincerely,

Shannon Rittenhouse
LLL Leader, Virginia