Date:
Mon, 23 Mar 1998 15:18:01 EST
Dear lactpals around the world,

I'm still a little fussed about this pressure on the lower jaw, especially so
when we know how tight shut a mouth can be.  What about a possibility of
bruising?  Do you see these babies daily over the following week to check for
bruising?  What about jaw being put out of kilter?    What if this baby had
brittle bone?    Do we think this is a good  early oral/facial experience for
a new baby to go through?  Is there a danger a parent not liking this
happening and complaining well after the event but feeling unable to say
something at the time?  It is v difficult for a new mother to say no to
someone who seems in control.  How can a mother bring a baby to the breast and
place pressure on baby's jaw?  How can she do it without the helper there, who
presumably is facing her and to the side of her.  I can't quite picture how
mum can do this on her own but know it would be possible if she had a third
hand!

I somehow feel that getting a baby to open its mouth by pressure is not right
unless these are *exceptional circumstances*.   As an adult it is a very
threatening gesture to have someone hold the back of one's head or try and
open one's mouth - both of these gestures puts you immediately into flight
mode - do we think this is different for the baby?  I know I may have stirred
a hornets nest but I worry about the baby's personal liberty.

I do hope that you won't feel upset at my strong views on this - I am also
playing devil's advocate because I might be seeing this in too jaundiced a
view.

kindest regards
Helen M. Woodman, National Childbirth Trust Breastfeeding Counsellor UK