Date:
Thu, 9 Jul 1998 08:54:27 -0500
My vote goes to NO titles.  It would better reflect the mutuality that we
experience here on this list.

I grew up in North Carolina, where we children never called grown-ups
solely by their given names.  It was Miz Sally, or Mr. George.  Even when I
"grew up" :) I had trouble calling those older than I by their given names,
even if they were colleagues.

However, as time goes on, there are fewer and fewer people who are older
than I am, so it gets easier.  There are probably few Lactnetters who are
older than I am. and since we are all professionals in mutual standing on
this list I am for dispensing with honorifics.

I do like to read in the signature what the credentials and work setting
and location are for the sender.  I respect all contributors but if a
person is a NICU nurse in an active hospital, I will see her post on NICU
issues differently from the way that I would see my own post on NICU. Or a
midwife's ideas on perinatal concerns draws my careful attention. Our
experience has taught us much and I respect that. Often the poster will
indicate that she works in a given setting, and that is helpful.

I do like to know where people live.  When someone writes, "Here where I
live, all babies feed well from birth and mothers call with their first
concern so that we resolve problems quickly and effectively," I want to
know Where In The World Does This Person Live??? (I'm packing my bags.)
Conversely (and more frequently), when someone indicates that in her
location there are above-average concerns with regard to breastfeeding, I
like to know where she is. I once began a list of locations of everyone,
but since few people give that information, I had to give it up.

Patricia Gima, IBCLC
Milwaukee

mailto:[log in to unmask]