From:
Heleen Hayes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Jun 2003 10:08:25 +0200
On 29 Jun 2003 at 18:56, Rachel Myr wrote:

> Does anyone know whether there is now a package insert with Medela
> shields or any other brand for that matter, stating how to use them
> correctly, in what circumstances they may be useful, and in what
> circumstances they are contraindicated, and cautioning women to seek
> the advice of a knowledgeable person - not the salesperson in the shop
> where they bought them - if they feel they 'need' nipple shields?

I have a box with a large nipple shield to send to my sister (Rachel,
you know part of her story and I don't think she should use them, but
if she feels it is helpful....).
It must be a continental European box, because there is no English
text. The front and side have German, French, Italian and Dutch text,
I'll give you my translation of the Dutch:
"Contact[tm] nipple shields. For temporary use to breastfeed with
sore nipples, cracked nipples, or flat nipples. * with a dent, so the
baby stays in contact with the familiar smell of its mother when at
the breast. * flexible, easy to suck from, can be sterilized *
available in two sizes (L = large, S = small)."

There is a leaflet inside, in German, French, Italian, Dutch and I
believe Danish, Swedish, Finnish and Norse.
Rachel, If you can identify one of these words as Norse I can scan
the text for you so you have it in their words: Bruksanvisning,
Bruskanvisning, Användarinstruktioner.
For anyones information I will give my translation of the Dutch text,
remembering that I am a lay person so the wording may not be exactly
as Medela would put it.
"Instrution manual contact nipple shield.
Some mothers expirience some discomfort when starting nursing their
child. The use of nipple shields with sensitive breasts, cracked
nipples or flat nipples is known. It is adviseable to use them for a
short time only, because they can influence lactation. Giving the
breast without nipple shield afterwards often fails because the baby
doesn't recognise its mothers smell and thus refuses the breast.
Thanks to the open ection of the Medela contact nipple shield the
baby stays in contact with mothers scent during lactation.

Usage:
After washing the breast [???? Heleen thinks this may contribute to
keeping the breast painfull? what if moms use soap?] stimulate the
nipple a bit with massage so it stands up. Than bend the soft edges
of the nipple shield forwards (according to the shape of the nipple)
and put it as close to the nipple as possible. Support the breast
with your fingers and put the edge of the nipple shield securely to
the breast. Be careful to put the open part at the top, or at the
place where the nose of your infant will be while nursing. To make
sure the nipple shield has better contact with the skin, you can
lubricate the edges of the nipple shield beforehand with a bit of
water (or purelan).

Cleaning and sterilisation:
Prior to first use and after each use, the nipple shield must be
cleaned and sterilised. You can do this in a cold sterilizing fluid,
by cooking in water for 3-5 minutes or in the autoclave.

Disposal:
According to local rules.

---
Heleen Hayes