From:
Cordelia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 May 2011 11:44:00 -0700
The hospital I work at also delays baths for at least 6 hours until baby is stable.  If you bathe a baby early they get cold, then you spend the next 6 hours trying to warm them again.  I expect that early bathing also affects lots of other stuff.  We use a small basin, that is sent to SPD between uses for cleaning.  I feel our basins are not big enough, in the single room maternity care unit they have been using a plastic baby bath that is smooth, that goes to SPD for cleaning.  We did use tubs with a plug but had issues with the plug surviving the cleaning process.  I too have had babies practically fall asleep during bathing.  Oh here is a fun option that would also be easy to clean.... anyone see a tummy tub in use?  I used one with my daughter but didn't get it until she was older.  Looks like a clear plastic bucket and allows baby to sit in the water up to neck supported by the care giver's hand under the chin.  Little babies love this.  You can google for photos.

Cordelia Merritt RN BSN IBCLC