From:
ellen shein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Nov 2004 19:41:33 +0200
Hey all,
Have a Happy Thanksgiving for those who are celebrating today!!!
I had a client in today - and am wracking my brain trying to figure this one out.
Term baby, 2.8 kgs. from birth til 12 days old breastfed like a trooper!! no pain, yes gain......
and really no problems whatsoever. Two days ago the baby started refusing the breast. After trying unsuccessfully to get this little one on, she would latch, and leave, one or two sucks and leave the breast getting progressively more fussy. No tongue tie, no visible signs of thrush, nothing unusual in her palette, we worked on positioning, for some reason the hospital staff had her using side hold, with pretty small elevated breasts, so we tried other holds. I finally tried the breast shield, and with some coercion managed to get her on. Not really willingly at first, but she did continue with the shield. I thought maybe some trauma due to initial OALR, but after latching on with the shield, tried to remove it and it didn't work.
Did digital exam, no particular problem, and a vacuum was obtained. Tongue seemed to be just at the gumline, not alot over, but suction was fine.
any ideas???
thanks.

Ellen Shein, IBCLC, LLLI
Tel Aviv Israel