Date:
Sun, 12 Jul 1998 17:08:13 -0400
I just spent almost two very frustrating hours with a 48 hour old newborn.
Let me know what I could have done differently and how to proceed now.
Baby girl, 7lbs 2 ozs, one day shy of her due date was born with help of
vaccum extractor and internal monitor, experienced "distress" at birth and
was swisked away and apparently very aggressively suctioned.  For the next
48 hours everyone in hospital was trying to get this kid to latch on to her
moms very flat nipples, they tried finger feeding, cup feeding, syringe
feeding at breast, pumping, and even cutting the top off of a bottle nipple
and using it as a shield ( uggggghhhh!), and of course bottle feeding.
Well this kiddo is not doing anything now won't root, won't latch, won't
suck on a finger very deeply and then only does the up and down thing, has
tongue all bunched up in back.  Got very upset when I tried ever so gentle
to coax the tongue down.  We tried at breast two brief attempts without
anything, once with nipple shield and once with periodontal syringe
rewarding any mouth movement all with no response, sucked briefly with
finger and syringe.  I finally told them to go home and start all over.  I
suggested only cup feeding for a while, but mom didn't seem comfortable
with that.  Explained what I thought was going on, headache, temporary
neurological dysfunction, guarding orally.  Will see them again on tuesday.
 How long does it take these kids to open up?  Encouraged alot of skin to
skin contact and encouraging rooting and wide mouth regardless of feeding
method.  This kid is really shut down, very sad. Sent them home with breast
shells, a shield, a pump and a periodontal syringe.  they came with a bag
full of various bottle nipples and asked my opinion on which was best.  I
will call her tomorrow.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Lori Werrell, BA, IBCLC
who is very distressed that I will be leaving for vacation on thursday
cause I know things will still be unsolved then.