Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Sep 2012 09:47:43 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (43 lines)
What kind of bottle? Is the milk coming too fast for baby to cope? Someone needs to observe and evaluate.  

-----Original Message-----
From: Lactation Information and Discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Angela Brekken
Sent: Wednesday, September 05, 2012 4:26 PM
Subject: Need help with distressed mom

Hi Everyone.  I am hoping I can learn from your wisdom.  I have PTP.
Mom was in with a 2mo baby that was born at 32w gestation.  She has been pumping and providing breast milk via bottle since he was in the NICU and has never supplemented.  She has a generous supply and quite a "stash" in her freezer.  Baby started spitting up more than normal and had some "projectile" type spit up so they brought him in to the ER this weekend; ER did not prescribe anything but set up an appt with her baby's doctor.  She tried eliminating dairy for 4 days with no changes (doesn't it take 3 days to "clear" the dairy in a trial elimination?).
Dr. told her to stop breastfeeding and they have tried different samples from the MD with the same results.  MD prescribed a medical formula and mom is in tears stating "I want to sneak him the breast milk.  I am fully confident in my milk and I know it is what he needs.  The doctor tells me to wait until he is 6 months old before trying again and just to stock pile the milk, but I want him to have it now.  I guess whatever I save up I can just give him throughout his 2nd year, but I really want to give him the breast milk".  She is young and in tears and so passionate about this goal.  Can anyone give me any pointers?  She states that nothing in her diet has changed.  She is not on medications.
Also states that with baby spitting up the "terrible smelling formula"
why does she have to stop the breast milk.  Thank you for any wisdom you can send my way!

Angie

(hoping to sit for the exam next July!)

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2