From:
Barbara Latterner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 May 2000 08:56:37 EDT
I'm working with a mom and four and half mos old baby boy who was weaned at
about 2 mos and who has had two serious respiratory infections (currently
going thru one-wheezing, coughing, on steroid, antibiotic and inhalant) since
started on formula-cows milk and soy currently-baby refuses to drink
Alimentum, vomited every feed for 24 hrs with another brand hypoallergenic
formula awhile back.  So, mom trying to relactate; on Reglan
pumping with hosp grade pump every 2 1/2-3 hrs for ten minutes obtaining only
drops but does feel MER sensation of tingling in between pumping (on this
routine for a week now).  She has very limited resources financially.  I've
seen her gratas, and btw baby won't breastfeed-once with my help did latch
onto breast with sns and nipple shield, used because he absolutely refused
bare breast with sns and her nipples are flat, breast tissue nonelastic.  He
did BF for a couple of minutes, lots of clicking and open mouth suck, seemed
due to congestion as did same on bottle. Hx of sore nipples and mucho trouble
when was BF.  Have encouraged skin contact and non stressful offering of
breast, rebirthing tried in bed not tub according to mom.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.  I'd like to try her on
Domperidone but money is a problem.  Have suggested donor milk from milk bank
and given her that info with numbers.  Ped is being switched so still need to
talk to new one who's BFing friendly.  Any and all ideas for increasing yield
from pumping?  It also could be that mom is doing too much other stuff, has
two school age young ones, but she did have her older ones go to grandma's
over weekend so she could concentrate on baby-she's motivated.  BTW, baby
also has exema on face, trunk and extremities (sometimes).  Poor baby and
mom-it's so sad.  TIA!!
Barbara Latterner
Brewster, NY