From:
Becky Krumwiede <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 May 2010 11:44:58 -0500
I have always been uncomfortable with the idea of freezing breastmilk in
regular ice cube trays and then storing the cubes in freezer bags,
unless they are going to be used pretty quickly.  Freezer burn occurs
when air is in contact with frozen food, and ice cubes in bags have many
surfaces in contact with the air.  I don't really know for sure that
freezer burn occurs on frozen liquids, but I know that if I've stored my
frozen tomato sauce too long, the surface looks different--I've always
assumed it's the same as freezer burn on solid foods.  Anyway, what
about just regular glass jars - nothing special, just clean jars that
other foods have come in?  For just about forever I've been telling moms
that if they have small clean jars (like from jelly, salsa, etc.) with
lids that are air tight, that these make great storage containers.  And
like the old formula bottles, free.

Becky Krumwiede, RN, IBCLC
Appleton, Wisconsin