From:
Edie Eckman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Jun 2002 16:58:36 -0400
The statement under consideration is:
" moms will not be forced to breastfeed.  They are not to be made to feel
guilty for formula
feeding.  They will not be coerced into breastfeeding."

Maybe we shouldn't concentrate on the Guilt Issue and look at the first
sentence. How, exactly, does a hospital "force" a mom to breastfeed? Hold
the mom's arms down, pull up her shirt, and hold the baby to the breast?
Somehow I'm pretty sure this doesn't happen anywhere.

Even if the hospital refuses to have their staff give ABM to their newborn
patients and requires the parents to do so, or if it requires parents to
bring in their own ABM, that still isn't the same as forcing a mom to
breastfeed, right? Some may see that as coercion--I see it as making the
parents take responsibility for feeding their baby from the beginning.

Edie Eckman
tongue-in-cheek (but not all that much)