From:
Patrica Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Oct 1998 18:19:10 -0500
Galactosemia is  cosidered an inborn error of metabolism with a deficiency
of galactose-1-phosphate uridyltransferase.  It is truly a valid reason to
not breastfeed, unlike PKU were the baby may be partially breastfed.  This
is one of those conditions where it is a blessing that today we have
alternative ways to   feed a baby, because previously the baby would have
eventually died. It occurs in 1 in 40,000 live births and soy or casein
hydrolysate is the answer.  The good news is that this baby has had
colostrum and some BF.  The other good news is that there is a substitute
and her baby will live.    Mom will undoubtedly grieve for the lost bf, but
can bottlefeed in a "breastfeeding way" and do all the other things of
attachment parenting that she does.  My sympathies, but it  does happen.
Sincerely, Pat in SNJ