From:
Nataliya Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Feb 2002 23:00:24 -0500
Dear Rachel and Valerie,

Thank you very much for verifying my suspicions. Valerie's findings gave my
reasoning a new interesting twist.  You are right about probiotics (they
call them ferments over there) and eubiotics (which are referred to as
bacteriophages).  It's hard to find equivalents for English terminology
especially when in the US as a LLL leader I never come across such bizarre
practices.  Russians are notorious for bombarding you with heavy med
terminology, that most of the time sounds intelligent, but if you start
digging into it, usually, it is nothing but nonsense.

Surprisingly, most of the articles on Medline on dysbacteriosis originate
in the former USSR.  I will try to find where the term comes from.  I
suspect it is just a general term for various GIT diseases.  In the West
diagnosis is more specific, eneterocolitis, botulism, food poisoning
(bacteria that caused it may be mentioned), etc.  However all this can't be
applied to BF babies, just because their stools look not like those of an
AF baby or an adult.  I was very puzzled that so many babies are started on
probiotics from birth and what they are given (Bifidum and Lacto bacteria)
is usually found in intestinal flora of BF babies anyway.  A lot of times
probiotics are given to BF babies to help them recover from a course of
antibiotics.  Again, I think, doctors are trying to apply treatment methods
that are suitable for other groups of people, but BF babies.  I had one
occasion when a completely healthy baby with nice yellow stools was tested
and no bifidum bacteria was found in babies gut.  I find it very hard to
believe.  Of course, the baby was prescribed probiotics to treat the
problem, when the problem didn't exist.  I can go on and on forever.  This
is something that was disturbing me for two years.  I am glad I finally
confirmed my suspicions.

Natalie Wilson.
NC, USA