From:
Lynn Carter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Mar 2012 08:05:28 -0600
I do wonder how anyone could do that research, to see what else gets put in
a bottle.  I guess it would be rather anecdotal self-reporting, but if the
moms had any inkling, I doubt they would report honestly.

I live in a town with a very strong university and a medical school.  We
have town and gown distinction, but it's a well-education city with good
schools.  Yet, at the park when my son was younger, I met a woman and her
young toddler (still sort of staggering).  I complimented her on his
obvious energy, and she demurred that he used to be "really hyper" but then
the doctor suggested they stop putting Pepsi in his bottle every morning.
There was no hint that she had any idea at all how wildly inappropriate
this was.  I do not know how early that kind of thing starts, but now that
I think to look, I frequently see very young toddlers with sippy cups of
what could only be Mountain Dew, as nothing else on earth is that color.
At the town pool they share sodas with lap babies.  Sometimes I think there
really is a place for "toddler formula" around here, because it's still a
step about soda.

When I was a kid, koolaid consumption started as soon as a child could
drink out of a cup, and my mom was the odd one out for not having it in our
house.

So I do believe that despite all the education going on out there, and all
the information readily available, there are still plenty of people who
really have no idea what is an appropriate drink for babies.

Lynn Carter OFS LLLL IBCLC
Missouri, USA