Date:
Fri, 24 Nov 2000 06:41:44 -0500
The use of frozen breastmilk is to prevent transmission of CMV.  A German
study came out a few years ago which showed that *some* very small
prematures get quite sick when exposed to CMV in the milk (though I forget
how they proved it was CMV from the milk, since it seems the mother must
have been infected before, during the pregnancy).  They said that this
occurred only if the baby was less than 28 weeks gestation, and that older
babies were not affected. So why 30 weeks?  I have no idea.

Jack Newman, MD, FRCPC