From:
Kim Ann Lorber <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Feb 2010 09:54:26 EST
Liability overshadows everything here in the US it seems. Take my most
recent visit to a GI dr. where I might need a colonoscopy in the near future.
She absolutely said I would need to pump and dump and not breastfeed for 24
hrs  and if I didn't she would not perform it on me. The drugs used are way
too  dangerous for the baby. The drugs used??? Versed and fentanyl. I said I
would  like to provide her with info on them but she was not interested and
then  finally reluctantly said she would take the info but would not change
her mind.  Then after talking some more it *finally* came out the *real*
reason she was  saying no to breastfeeding-----If my pediatrician would sign
off on it and take  the *liability* for it then maybe she would be ok with
it, she would have to  make sure *he* can take the responsibility for it.

My ped. would be ok to sign off on it, but what about the other peds who
would not be ok to sign off on it? Would the mom feel the need to lie about
it?  Or just go ahead and pump and dump/not bf for the time the dr said.
Heck it could have been longer! When I went in for gall bladder surgery I was
told 48 hrs of no bf.

I also wonder if this is the reason so much formula supplements are given
in the hospital and why all the blood sugar sticks. Around here you have to
get  4 heel sticks no matter if you have risk factors or not, it is for
every baby.  And of course the numbers they use drive me crazy! And this goes
for jaundice  too, the numbers they use! I hear often from moms that they are
told if  they didn't give the formula the baby was going to be brain damaged
or  die.

Kim Ann
LLL Leader Quad Cities IA/IL
*I love Lactnet, I learn so much from everyone!*