From:
Carla D'Anna <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Aug 1997 13:18:57 -0500
Anne Robb made some very good points in response to Dr Jack's inquiry about
non use of gentian violet.  I'd also like to add there was a published case
study about infant mouth sores that developed after use.  In the absence of
published guidelines FOR use this makes it pretty scary to propose,
especially for those of us who by virtue of our nurse licenses are forbidden
to prescribe or I'd assume for anyone who simply has no license to prescribe
or otherwise.

Dr Jack, please publish guidelines for use of gentian violet, include
dilution, frequency and duration.  Do in JHL if need be but if possible do
it in a journal more accepted by the medical community.

It is my understanding that gentian violet is effective for strains of yeast
that the other medications don't work for.  Emphasis of this might make this
"old wives remedy" more acceptable and mainstream.

Forgive my vagueness, I'm taking pain pills postoperatively and can't
remember citations or yeast strain names right now.

Carla (just north of Washington, DC)