From:
laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Apr 2010 14:27:39 -0500
At our hospital there is a nurse who works for WIC, but she has access to
the charts and comes in daily and recertifies the moms who were "on WIC"
during the pregnancy. Remember WIC stands for Women, Infants, and Children
and is a nutrition program for low income families. Here is my understanding
of the process: During the recertification process, the mom must select one
of three status categories (this category lasts for first 2 months I think
and then you recertify again??). 1st - exclusive bf, mother gets no formula,
gets an enhanced food package for herself each month, more foods for baby
when baby starts solids, and baby meats when baby is ready for that. In
addition, in the excl bf category, mother has access to lactation help from
the Wic LC or peer counselor, and can get a hand pump, or working
moms/school pump when close to returning to work or school, or loan of a
Lactina if baby is sick or they are separated. 2nd - formula feeding, where
mother picks up a full alottment of formula tins, not sure how many. 3rd
category is partial bf, my understanding is mom can get the pumps she needs
and lactation help, but only 1 tin of formula, very small amount.
The mothers are very keen to see the WIC nurse and get recertified, they ask
to see her frequently until they get recertified. The expectation is they
get recertified in the hospital and therefore there is no need for a special
appointment or any variation in their schedule to pick up their packages.

Many mothers express to me their concern they might need formula just in
case, or they only want to bf for 6 wks, and many want to sign up for the
full formula allotment.
I am not anti-WIC, it is supposed to be a nutrition program. I really think
the WIC program should focus on the nutrition education for families,
healthy diets, obesity prevention and the like; give more groceries, baby
foods perhaps at 6 months, and breastfeeding support. Perhaps specialty
formulas for metabolic issues. But LET THE FAMILIES BUY THEIR OWN FORMULA.
My understanding is WIC started at a time that help for dairy farmers was
needed, so there is a focus on the milk. This has to stop in my humble
opinion.
Laurie Wheeler RN MN IBCLC
Mississippi  USA