From:
Diane Wiessinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Sep 1998 10:36:05 -0500
I've always assumed - I think because of something I heard - that WIC
started with one goal and is changing to another.

As I heard it, the idea for WIC actually began with the formula companies,
who saw it as a way to put more formula in the hands of low income moms.
The idea was, if they could offer somewhat lower cost formula to a low
income target group, they could make a higher profit than if they had to
sell to that population at the standard price and thus lose those babies to
straight cow milk at an early age.  The formula companies approached the
government with a "deal" that would "improve the nutrition and health of
low income babies"... and would line their pockets at the same time.

The government accepted because increased formula consumption really
*would* improve low income infant health in the US, and accepted along with
it the health slant for breastfeeding promotion that the formula companies
themselves suggested.  So breastfeeding was "sold", in the early years at
WIC, on health grounds, although the formula companies knew from the start
that low income women in the US don't decide to breastfeed for the baby's
health.

Now WIC, as a result of various research studies, has figured out that cold
hard health facts aren't the best way to go, and has come up with warm
fuzzy programs like "Loving Support" to sell moms on the "what do *I* get
out of it" aspects.

Do I have this roughly right?  Is there a written history of WIC that could
set me straight where I have it wrong?  I'm helping with a paper that
touches on several different aspects of formula marketing and breastfeeding
marketing, and if my understanding of WIC's origins and evolution is true,
it would be a fascinating piece to include.  To whom should I be talking,
to get an accurate history of WIC?

Diane Wiessinger, MS, IBCLC  Ithaca, NY