Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 May 2012 19:28:57 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (25 lines)
I agree, the California statutes are not what you need. This is a theoretical baby sometime in the theoretical future...now is not the time to start quoting the law. I started working with breastfeeding mothers when my daughter was 3.5 years old. She knew what I did and she knew that I thought babies were pretty darn cute. She knew that babies were the reason I left her to go to work. This is the conversation we had one day.

Alice "What if I meet a really hot guy and fall in love and we get a baby. What will I do?"

Me "Well"

Alice "Oh I know, I'll smash the baby against a wall"

It wouldn't have been helpful to point out that this is against the law. This was a purely emotional response. Babies were a threat to her. Now at twelve, she loves babies. 

When there is an actual baby in your daughter's life then you will know how she feels about breastfeeding and whether or not the idea of breastfeeding is still threatening. And then with love and sensitivity you can explore it, if she will let you. If you push too hard now you just risk alienating her over something that might never be a problem.

Kathy Lilleskov RN IBCLC

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2