From:
Donna Hansen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Dec 1998 18:34:27 -0800
Hi all,

I had 2 back to back breast reduction questions recently. In both
instances, the mother phoned for ways to get her baby nursing more
frequently and more effectively because of slow weight gain. We observed
one baby nursing fairly constantly for about 2 hours, all seemed fine,
and at the end of the conversation discovered she had a breast reduction
3 years back. The light bulb went on. Same scenario with mum# 2, slow
weight gain and as a thought I inquired to any breast trauma. Well, yes,
she had a breast reduction 8 years ago but TWO DOCTORS HAD SAID THEY
NEVER HEARD OF BREASTFEEDING BEING A PROBLEM AFTERWARDS. The breast
reduction would not even have been mentioned if I hadn't asked. Gee
whiz, how do you folks remain so positive?

My question is, how well do the usual remedies for increasing milk
supply work in a woman who may only have a few ducts functioning in each
breast? Is it like putting more food out at the buffet but no-one has
any utensils to eat with? Maybe I need to study up on my basic breast
anatomy and how milk is supplied through the ducts.

Donna Hansen
Burnaby, British Columbia
Canada
mailto:[log in to unmask]