From:
"Ann M. Calandro" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Feb 1998 11:43:22 -0500
I have worked with a lot of babies with fractured clavicles and have seen
no problems once we figure out it is fractured and postion the baby such
that it is not putting pressure on the fracture.  Sometimes fractured
clavicles are not obvious right away, so it is important to suspect this if
the baby seems uncomfortable in certain postions.  I usually think of it if
the baby is large and had a difficult birth.  Sometimes they do best in
sidelying position, off the fractured side.  A few months ago, I worked
with a little girl who cried no matter what position she was put into.  She
was small and had been delivered by C/Sec so it didn't occur to me it might
be fractured clavicle.  I thought many other things, and we changed her
position many times.  The MD found no problem, but about a week after
birth, it was discovered that she had two fractured clavicles.  I had said
to the mom that she acted like she was hurting somewhere.  I will keep this
in the back of my mind from here on out, that babies can have fractures
even with a c/section.

Ann Calandro,RNC, IBCLC