From:
cillakat <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Sep 2007 12:11:56 -0400
<<  She's currently looking
> for a replacement milk and is wondering about the wisdom of trying camel
> milk which is readily available.>>

i think it's not a good idea.  my experience with milk intolerance in
babies is fairly vast.....even the moms who initially try goat/sheep
milk eventually find that what they thought was tolerable turned out
not to be.

few in our culture could imagine allowing a woman to nurse a baby
other than her own.  fewer still can imagine scenarios in which adults
would be drinking human breastmilk.   we couldn't imagine nursing from
a rat or a giraffe or a dog, yet every day, we think essentially
nursing from a cow is totally fine.  not only fine but healthy and
beneficial.   if milk from said cow becomes unavailable or
undesireable,  the first thought is 'what shall i use to replace it?'

the best milk alternative is to free ourselves of the idea that there
is anything biologically appropriate about drinking the 'breast'milk
of another species.

Katherine in atl