From:
Kerry Ose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Jul 2006 04:44:05 -0400
I want to echo Jennifer's thoughts on this.  If a powerful company, industry, or institution is
flagrantly and persistently stepping on some basic human or civil rights, and not responding to
rational arguments for change, then a rational, ethical thing to do is call attention by way of
protest or demonstration.

Two or three sales people being rude, unprofessional and unhelpful do no reflect a corporate
policy.  It seems that stories of bad treatment of breastfeeding moms at VS resonates with the
lactivist community because it makes such a good story that a company that dresses up women's
breasts and sells them back to them would object to breastfeeding.

In other words, the case against VS is attractive, but not compelling.  If, however, breastfeeding
moms want to use this flimsy case to try to get their message to the media that maybe we should
support breastfeeding more and breast sexualization less, then maybe, as some have written on
this list, that is not such a bad thing.

I'm still a breastfeeding mom who deals with the challenges of breastfeeding a 3-yr.-old in public
in a country where that isn't done.  I also have put myself out there in a very public way in support
of various controversial causes.  I think it is a mistake to assume that those of us debating the
efficacy of a particular form of protest in a particular situation are out of touch with or
unsupportive of breastfeeding mothers who want to organize for change.

Kerry Ose