From:
"Carrie L. Bryant" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Sep 1998 13:44:21 -0500
Hi to everyone.  I do hope that anyone in the path of this awful storm is
doing okay.

I am a peer counselor in Texas.  I have decided that I am going full force
in talking to my clients about breastfeeding and natural disasters.  Since
we live in an area that is always in the path of something whether it be
hurricane's, floods, or tornados.  What a peace of mind to know that if you
breastfeed, you don't have to worry about whether or not your baby is going
to get fed.  When there was the tropical depression down in Texas.  I can't
remember where it was.  It was last month.  The WIC clinic was wiped out
down there.  They had to send people from other places to try to help the
people down there with their vouchers.  Anyway, there was a problem getting
formula to these babies.  Think how the mom's who are breastfeeding felt?

I am really pushing this issue.  We also have mom's who come into to try to
get formula or an earlier appt. because they ran out of formula and have no
money to buy some.  You just want to tell them well, you know if you
breastfed you wouldn't have this problem.  Of course you can't.

Carrie