Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Sep 2003 08:34:37 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (19 lines)
Just wanted to mention this.  I hope word of the trick of using a bottle nipple with a feeding tube inserted through the hole has not generated some confusion that has resulted in people trying to use bottle nipples for latch problems.  The only reason for that is to help get a baby to accept a position where his face is right in front of the breast.  It only helps with latch by getting the baby close enough to the breast where latching on is possible.  It is generally helpful with babies who are adopted at an older age, many of whom get upset when held in such an intimate position, by having them sucking on a nipple that is familiar to them, letting them relax and settle in, and then trying to turn them so that the bottle nipple is positioned over the breast.  The baby only gets the milk from the feeding tube.  It does nothing to stimulate or express milk from the breast.  Once the baby has learned to be comfortable facing the breast, the mom can begin the task of getting the baby to latch onto the breast .  

Actually, I have heard people talk about using a bottle nipple over the breast, like a nipple shield.  I tried it, when I was experimenting with Julia, but could never get my breast inside of the bottle nipple.  I can't imagine that it would ever work like a real nipple shield does.  

Aloha,
Darillyn

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2